An asphalt batch mix plant blends the aggregates, asphalt and other additives in an appropriate proportion according to the job mix formula at a high temperature to create a consistent hot mix of a paving mixture. This asphalt hot mix is used for the construction of roads.
Based on the design there are basically two types of asphalt plants
- Batch mix plant
- Drum mix plant
In asphalt batch mix plant the aggregates are heated and dried in a rotary drum. The aggregates that are heated are weighed and screened in hot bins. They are properly proportioned before blending it with a binder in a different pugmill mixture to produce a single batch.
In a drum mix plant, the aggregates are heated, dried and blended with a binder in the same drum in which the feeding of aggregates and binders and production of hot mix asphalt is continuous. The drum mix plants give a higher rate of production and it’s simple and easy to operate. They are cheaper as compared to the batch mix plant.
Asphalt batch mix plant is designed for the contractors who are in search of a reliable and basic equipment available from well-known manufacturers who provide proper service support and have a good product knowledge. These plants come in different capacities of 80, 120 and 160 tph. The capacities which are above 160 tph have to be customised as per the customer requirement.
The asphalt batch mix plants equipment is very affordable and has low running costs. It requires less maintenance. Moreover, it is easy to operate and it can be quickly assembled and can be activated.
Advantages of an asphalt batch mix plant
- It is built on a strong and rugged structure and thus suitable in the rough operating environment.
- As compared to other plants it has lower operating and maintenance cost.
- For mixing and drying drum a highly efficient multi-fuel burner is provided.
- The drying drum is thermally insulated.
- They have modular units which enable ease of transportation and quick installation.
- It does not require much civil work to be done on the site.
- The control panel is designed in such a manner that it makes the operating system easy to use.
- The parts of the batch mix plant are easily accessible for quick maintenance so that you can attain maximum productivity.
- A wet dust collector is also made available in the place of baghouse filter as per the requirement.
- It has the cheapest spare parts in the industry.
- It has a user-friendly control panel that has options to store different types of hot mix recipes. Moreover, it is possible to change the recipes regularly.
Components of the asphalt batch mix plant are:
- Vibrating Screen:
It is four layered screen and separates different aggregates. To get an uninterrupted flow of materials the screening is made big. The process of replacing the screen is very easy without causing any trouble to the unit. It can be easily maintained as there is enough space around the screen. Due to the design of the screen, the oversized aggregates can be easily discarded.
- Hot Aggregate Elevator:
The vertical elevator that transfers the hot aggregates is completely covered. It has wear resistant plates which curbs slippage of buckets.
- Mineral Filler Elevator:
On the tower unit, there is a filler storage bin situated where the vertical filler elevator fills in the minerals. The flow of the filler is controlled by the level indicator of the dust storage bin from the filler elevator.
- Aggregate Storage Bins:
Similar to vibrating screens, hot bins are also with the same number of compartments. The aggregates after the screening process are stored in these compartments and then weighed and transferred to the mixing unit.
- Aggregate Weighing Hopper:
One by one aggregate is received by the weighing hopper. After the total set is complete it is then discharged into the mixing unit.
- Mineral Weighing System:
It is suspended on three load cells. For quick discharge, it is equipped with pneumatic cylinder
- Asphalt Weighing System:
A weighing tank that is suspended on the 3 load cell stores asphalt that comes from the bitumen tanks with the help of pumps.
The mixing system enables fast and homogeneous mixing. It is designed for smooth and trouble-free operations. The unit is jacketed and has a full-length discharge gate for hot asphalt mix.